How to restart an Abaqus analysis in Abaqus/CAE?
This blog explains how an Abaqus analysis can be restarted from within Abaqus/CAE.
Why using Abaqus restart
Scenarios for using the restart capability include:
- Continuing an interrupted run: If an analysis is interrupted due to computer malfunctioning, the Abaqus restart analysis capability can restart the analysis to complete as originally defined
- Continuing with additional steps: After viewing results from a successful analysis, you may decide to append steps to the load history
- Changing an analysis: After reviewing the results of the previous analysis, you may want to restart the analysis from an intermediate point and change the remaining load history data. In addition, you may want to add additional steps to the load history after the changed load history data
To restart an Abaqus/Standard analysis, the user must request restart output.
To restart an Abaqus/Explicit from an intermediate frame, the user must request restart output (by default, a state file will be created with results at the beginning and end of each step).
Before we perform a restart simulation, we have created CAE model initial.cae. This CAE file contains:
- A model called standard that has two analysis steps, LugLoad and LugLoad2
- Restart information at the end of each step (via the Step module, Output -> Restart Requests)
- A completed simulation job called Lug that uses the defined model standard
After examining the results, you realize that you need to make changes to the pressure location in the step LugLoad2.
The restart capability will recompute the results for the step LugLoad2 without having to repeat the computations for step LugLoad. The following procedure is used:
- Copy model standard to a new model, say standard-restart, and make standard-restart the current model
- Change the location of the pressure in the second step LugLoad2
- In the tree, select standard-restart -> Edit Attributes
- Select Read data from job: and Enter the jobname from which the restart data will be read. In this case it is Lug
- Next you have to define the restart location. Enter LugLoad to indicate the step from which the restart data will be read. Furthermore choose Restart from the end of the step so the restart LugLoad2 step will continue the analysis after the end of the first step LugLoad.
- Create a new job, say Lug-restart, for model standard-restart. Abaqus/CAE sets the job type to Restart.
- Submit Lug-restart for analysis.